Parasite Prevention for Pasadena Pets
An important part of your pet’s wellness care program is parasite prevention. Cats and dogs make attractive hosts for a variety of pests, including fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and intestinal parasites. Fortunately, while these critters might seem to be everywhere, they can be kept to heel with adequate pet parasite prevention. At Lake Shore Pet Hospital, we carry a number of quality preventives to keep dogs and cats protected.
What You Need to Know About Parasites
Parasite infestations are just one half of the equation. In addition to annoying your pet and seemingly taking over your home, certain parasites can also spread illness and cause allergic reactions.
Mosquitoes can transmit heartworm disease, which can result in damage to your pet’s heart, lungs, and/or surrounding blood vessels. This disease is also progressive, and may not reveal notable symptoms for years.
The Deer tick is the primary vector for Lyme disease. An infected tick carrying the Borrelia burgdorferi bacterium will pass it on to its host when they bite; the bacterium is actually what causes the disease. Symptoms of Lyme disease include lameness, swelling of the joints, fever, lack of appetite and lack of activity.
Fleas can cause allergic reactions in pets when they bite, but they can also inadvertently infect animals with tapeworm if ingested.
Preventives We Offer
Indoor and outdoor cats and dogs should be protected from parasites all year round. We offer the following preventatives to keep them healthy:
- Interceptor Plus – a monthly oral preventive for dogs that protects against heartworm and intestinal parasites
- ProHeart6 injection – an injectable heartworm preventive that lasts up to 6 months
- Simparica – a monthly oral flea and tick preventive for dogs
- Vectra 3D – a topical flea and tick preventive for dogs
- Seresto – a flea and tick prevention collar for dogs and cats that is effective for up to 6 months
- Revolution – a topical flea, tick, heartworm and intestinal parasite preventive for cats
- Advantage II – a topical flea preventive for cats
- ProFender – a topical intestinal parasite preventive treatment for cats
Contact us if you need help choosing the right pet parasite prevention! Just give us a call at (410) 317-2028.
I truly can't say enough wonderful things about Dr. Ashley and his amazing staff.